Gnash is a GPLv3'd SWF movie player and browser plugin for Firefox, Mozilla, and Konqueror. Gnash supports many SWF v7 features and ActionScript 2 & 3 classes. with growing support for SWF versions 8-10. Gnash also runs on many GNU/Linux distributions, embedded GNU/Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, non x86 processors, and 64 bit architectures. There are also standalone players for GNOME or KDE based desktops.
Improvements since the 0.8.5 release are:
* TextSnapshot, Camera, Microphone, TextField and TextFormat
* ASSetNative, ASSetNativeAccessor, ASconstructor implemented.
* New utilities for finding input devices for Camera and Microphone.
* PyGTK module support and Custom Gnash GTK widget.
* Better A/V synchronization.
* Various improvements to text handling and formatting.
* Code refactoring:
o large-scale refactoring of object and class creation for
improved AS compatibility,
o extension of native classes now works in many cases,
o more compatible and slimmer DisplayObject classes,
o improvements in parsing,
o general reduction of Garbage Collection resources,
o easier to implement new classes.
o new ActionScript 2 & 3 test suite.
o re-organization of all ActionScript classes into the proper
o Stubs added for all ActionScript 3 classes.
* Fix bitmap smoothing handling in AGG renderer.
* Native and built-in functions properly separated, more native
* AmigaOS4 support (gui and sound handler)
* Fixes to XMLSocket crash and event order.
* Performance improvement for SDL gui.
* Corrected timing of various AS events, fixing various SWFs that
rely on them.
* Rudimentary AVM2 implementation.
* Fixed bugs found since since the 0.8.5 release.
* Improved RTMP support in Cygnal.
o plugin support for server side scripts.
o refactored network engine.
You can grab the Gnash sources from ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/gnash/0.8.6, or from Gnash Bzr from the branch release_0_8_6. Binary packages for Debian or RPM based systems will be available from your GNU/Linux distribution, and from whatever BSD variant you are using.